The planet is what I am truly passionate about and for just over a year now I have been trying to find new ways to lead a more sustainable life. This is something I believe we all need to do and the good news is, it’s super easy to make small changes to do so!
In this series, we’re going to look at the different areas simple changes can be made in day to day life to have you living a more sustainable and ethical lifestyle in no time.
You’ve seen the dreadful pictures of plastic filled oceans. You’ve seen the video of the turtle having a straw pulled out of it’s nose. You know the stories of turtles eating plastic bags thinking they are jellyfish, penguins having 6-pack rings stuck round their necks, countless wildlife choking on or being poisoned by the deadly chemicals polluting their home. But what can you do about it? Plastic is taking over our lives people! Did you know every toothbrush you have ever used is still out there somewhere, in the sea or in the ground not even close to biodegrading.
1. Get rid of that toothbrush and go bamboo!! These are the ones I personally buy: click here
2. Buy a reusable water bottle and stop getting plastic ones from the shop for convenience. If you don’t like the thought of drinking tap water (and I don’t blame you there), then there are SO many filter options for you and buying one will definitely save you money in the long run (and yes they are just as good as bottled water).
3. If you are buying fruit and veg, take your own reusable bag and buy it loose! Also always take a reusable bag for all your shopping
4. Reusable coffee cup, all your favourite coffee shops will make you one in there now
5. Say no to straws in restaurants, bars, cinemas etc. and buy your own reusable ones: click here
and the same goes for single use cutlery : click here
6. Education! Everybody thinks they already
know what can and can’t be recycled but I personally find myself moving plastic items from the general waste into the recycling both at uni and home! It’s never a bad idea to remind yourself
7. Make sure you aren’t buying skincare products that contain microbeads, which make their way into the ocean and harm both marine and human life just like regular plastic
8. Buy an eco-friendly zero waste phone case. Seriously phone cases are just pointless pieces of plastic that get chucked away as soon as they crack. I’m in love with my phone case and when it breaks it will be thrown into the compost: click here
World Environment Day is coming up on June 5th (which is also my birthday how cool is that) so being the crazy eco-warrior I am, I decided to start a series with small easy ways to better your carbon footprint and save the planet.
So there you go everybody! I hope you enjoyed this and make your way through the list to reduce your plastic consumption and share these tips with your friends and family. I don’t want any excuses so go get to it because there is no Planet B if we mess up this fabulous one
p.s. I’m not sure how many posts this series will include, but if you feel I have missed anything out you would like me to include, I am very up for making a part 2 on plastic 😉